Monday, March 22, 2010

What's this Real Life thing?

Last Wednesday I returned from my month of awesome in Asia (Beijing, Thailand, Cambodia.) A very large part of me wonders why I got on that plane home. Ah, that word. Home. Once again I find myself questioning its meaning.

But I digress. The food. Bless my taste buds, the food in Thailand. I used to tell people that if I had to choose only one cuisine to consume for the rest of my life it would be Thai food. I now have definitive proof that this is beyond true. This is true and a half. Cambodia also has some very tasty dishes.

Chinese food I've never liked - all the oil, MSG, and soy sauce (not gluten free.) The only Chinese food I enjoyed was the food I made myself in the cooking class I took in Beijing (off Nanluoguxiang.) The key to any Chinese dish: leek, garlic, and ginger.

I also took a Thai cooking class in Chiang Mai, and though I spent a delicious day there I can't remember the name of the school for the life of me. I am now no longer afraid of trying my hand at making my favorite dishes. Thai cooking is quick and easy, it's just a matter of getting all the ingredients together.

I have no recipes or photos for you today. My camera is sort of still on Ko Phi Phi (a story not relevant to food) for the time being. However later today I'll swim downtown in this rain to check out the Thai grocery store in Chinatown. I haven't really started to think out a cooking or grocery shopping schedule. Or found a gym/rock wall/yoga class within my price range. But I do still have a little less than half the money I started with 2 months ago. And I will be updating here.

Oh! And one of my mother's best friends gave me a goodbye Boston gift: a book of 1,000 gluten free recipes. I don't see myself wanting for recipe inspiration anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment