Thursday, May 27, 2010

Improvisation & Innovation

Tomorrow night I'm headed over to my buddy's roof deck for special birthday grilling. In preparation for this I did some homework on Bobby Flay's grilling show and whipped up 3 quick veggie/marinade combinations:

1.) raspberry balsamic marinade (raspberries, balsamic vinegar, white pepper, splash of evoo) and shitake mushrooms

2.) spicy mango marinade (mango, sherry vinegar - couldn't find my cider vinegar until after I'd finished of course, garlic, ginger, Tabasco, maple syrup) and baby bello mushrooms

3.) soy-lime marinade (GF soy sauce, garlic, ginger, lime juice, agave nectar, splash of evoo) and tempeh

I half-looked up recipes for these creations but mostly just based the ingredients off of what I like. Obviously after this I had to make for-now food so threw a few cans of beans (pinto, garbanzo, red kidney) in with onion, shallot, garlic, ginger, and dashes of lime juice, GF soy sauce, agave nectar, and a smokey hot sauce (GF & vegan) I keep around. Viola! I'll get a few meals out of this.

Today's culinary adventure was brought to you by my Oncology observation this morning which let me go at 9.45 (instead of 12!) Thank you, Nicole, for being awesome. The rest of today includes cadaver lab review (2-5pm), a sammich for dinner (spicy hummus, red pepper, and oh what the hell I'll throw some scallions on there), studying at the library, and possible karaoke in preparation for the cadaver memorial service next week (I volunteered to sing with a few other classmates, should be perfectly awful.)

2 comments:

  1. for you chica: http://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2010/06/01/what-do-readers-say-about-our-gluten-free-pizza-crust-%E2%80%9Camazing%E2%80%9D/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always interested in what you put together as "for-now" food, as I'm in a constant state of "quick!-while-the-baby-is-asleep!"

    ReplyDelete